Limerick Rugby
Don't Miss

Garryowen, Bohs advance in Junior Cup

By Aidan Corr
GARRYOWEN and UL Bohemian are through to the next round of this season’s Munster Junior Challenge Cup. Bohs had a good win over Galbally in Annacotty but the light blues had to rely on a last minute of extra time seven pointer to beat third division champions St Senan’s in a thriller in Dooradoyle.
Garryowen 34, St Senan’s 27: Described as ‘the best game at this venue all season,’ this junior cup tie was level at 22-22 after 80 minutes of great rugby. Joey Purcell, Steve McMahon, Jack O’Donovan and Eamonn Connolly got tries for the home side but it was the try by Cian O’Shea with virtually the last play of the game, (with the sides again level at 27-27 and Senan’s going through on the first try of the game rule), that gave the Dooradoyle boys their ticket to the next round. Eamonn Connolly was in fine kicking form landing three conversions and a penalty.
UL Bohemian 33, Galbally 10: Bohs led this cup tie comfortably with a 26-0 advantage against the county visitors and it was 33-0 going into the final ten minutes. They took the lead with a try by Finbarr Ryan and it was 12-0 soon after when Ciaran Harte got over for a try and Butler added the conversion. Bohs kept up their effort in the second quarter with a Rob Butler try, which he also converted, and a fourth try, this time from Sam Stirling, converted by Butler.
Shane Airey scored UL Bohemian’s fifth try early in the second half and there was some consolation for Galbally when Brendan Childs and Shane Enright scored a try each late in the game.
Neither of the two Munster Seconds League fixtures took place with the Highfield v Thomond and Shannon v Cashel ties both called off.
In the Munster Junior Plate, Abbeyfeale were forced to give a walk-over to Old Crescent because of a number of injuries while St Mary’s got a walk-over from Ballincollig. Young Munster failed to field a team for their meeting with Presentation while Bruff came to the Canal Bank and beat Richmond 16-23. Dara Clancy kicked a conversion and three penalties for Richmond who also had a try from Gearoid Rennihan. Bruff’s scores came from tries by Tom Carroll and Steve O’Shea and two conversions and three penalties by Barry English.
Grove Island was the venue for the St Mary’s v Old Crescent Webb Cup game on Friday night while Thomond also got their ticket to the next round of the Webb Cup when they beat UL Bohemian 27-17.
St Mary’s 30, Old Crescent 14: The Saints looked as if they were going to ease their way into the next round but they were pegged back from a 17-0 lead to just three points in the last quarter.
Anthony Morgan was the St Mary’s hero, scoring three tries and it was his opening brace, both converted by Sean Lyons who also added a penalty, that gave the home side that 17-0 lead. Old Crescent responded with a try by Billy Hedderman and a penalty from Brian Clancy to leave the score St Mary’s 17, Old Crescent 8 at the break.
The second half saw Crescent enjoy long periods of possession and two penalties from Brian Clancy reduced the lead to 17-14. St Mary’s finished in style with Anthony Morgan his hat-trick of tries and Sean Lyons kicking two penalties and a conversion to leave the Saints ahead 30-14 at the final whistle.
In the Cyril Fitzgerald Plate, Young Munster suffered a big defeat at the hands of Nenagh.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login