Limerick Rugby
Don't Miss

Ireland must put this poor performance behind them quickly

(Ireland’s coaching staff in serious mood as record defeat beckons)
England 57, Ireland 15
DON’T check your eyesight. The scoreline confirms the biggest ever winning margin for England over their neighbours on the other side of the Irish Sea. The difference between the sides could almost match the distance between these two countries and the result is a serious blow, not alone to Ireland’s World Cup hopes but to the game on this island. How Joe Schmidt can handle this performance is hard to predict. Some players in the green jersey were swept away by the brutal power of the English and apart from an early try from Jordan Larmour and one with just minutes remaining from Bundi Aki, the void between the two sides was uncomfortably evident.
With three tries on the board and a lead of 22-10, England looked comfortable at the break. Ireland had started with an air of intent and after England had taken the lead, Owen Farrell putting the home side in front with a penalty kick after just six minutes, the Irish scored the opening try of the game. Ian Henderson did well at the breakdown, the ball went wide left and Jacob Stockdale’s kick and chase the ball took a lucky bounce into the hands of the chasing Jordan Larmour for a try which Ross Byrne converted. England responded almost immediately, attacking off a scrum and right wing Joe Cokanasigna got in for a try. Farrell missed the conversion. Now trailing 8-7 Ireland showed great resolve to re-take the lead with a Ross Byrne penalty after Vinapula was whistled by referee Owens, and it was 8-10 to the visitors with 24 minutes played. It proved to be a false dawn. The Irish had to wait until the 73rd minute for their next score.
England hit their best patch coming up to the break and further tries from Elliott Daly and Manu Tuilagi put the home side in the driving seat.
The second half was dominated by the English with tries from Itoje, Kruis, Curry, a second from Cokanasigna and another from Cowan-Dickie and with Farrell and George Ford firing over conversions the outcome was inevitable well before Nigel Owens’ final whistle brought an end to the torture for the Irish fans.
Bundi Aki showed his potential with that late individual try, conversion missed by Jack Carty, but this was certainly a ‘friendly’ game that the Irish backroom team will want to put behind them quickly when they entertain the Welsh in two weeks time.
England: Elliot Daly, Joe Cokanasiga, Manu Tuilagi, Owen Farrell (capt), Jonny May, George Ford, Ben Youngs; Joe Marler, Jamie George, Kyle Sinckler, Maro Itoje, George Kruis, Tom Curry, Sam Underhill, Billy Vunipola.
Replacements: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Mako Vunipola, Dan Cole, Courtney Lawes, Mark Wilson, Willi Heinz, Piers Francis, Joe Marchant.
Ireland: Rob Kearney, Jordan Larmour, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale, Ross Byrne, Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best (capt), Tadhg Furlong, Jean Kleyn, Iain Henderson, Peter O’Mahony, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander.
Replacements: Sean Cronin, Jack McGrath, Andrew Porter, Devin Toner, Tadhg Beirne, Luke McGrath, Jack Carty, Andrew Conway.
Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU)

You must be logged in to post a comment Login